Oct 9, 2004

CONCERTORAMA-LAMA-DING-DONG


Willy Nelson Posted by Hello

The first live band I saw as a teenager - without my mom - was Simple Minds at the Queen Elizabeth theater back in 1984. My friend Brian camped out in line all night to get good seats and while he ended up literally front row center, the rest of my "new wave" crew and I sat in row 3. Right in the center. It was a fantastic show. This was for their Sparkle in the Rain tour and I and my 9 closest friends were very excited about it. My mom gave me cab fare to get home. I remember feeling so excited on the way home, totally charged by the great show, the music, the energy of seeing a band I loved live.

So I dunno what happened but I didn't go to another concert for a long time. I moved to a different school leaving behind my new wave crew who were completely obsessed with getting the new British Imports (albums for you young-uns) the moment they arrived in the one store in town that specialized in the kind of music we were fanatical about: Brit-pop, New Wave, some Goth stuff too.

Then, the hippest bands were:
The Simple Minds (who I see have a new album out!)
Siouxsie and the Banshees (who played in Vancouver a few weeks ago and apparently it was a great show though I didn't attend it myself)
The The (I still have a vinyl copy of Soul Mining and was listening to it the other day and found that unlike some of the music I listened to then which I thought was cool, really hasn't stood the test of time, sounding tiny and overly synth. This one still sounds great)
OMD
The Cure (I nearly lost my virginity while listening to The Concert album. I'm *really* glad I didn't.
Soft Cell (incidentally, Marc Almond seems to be doing some interesting things even now...)

So, I guess I truly am a child of the 80's. I don't really think of them as my "glory days" mostly because I was a really miserable teenager. All I can really say about that is I'm glad no one was stupid enough to tell me "these are the best years of your life" because I probably would have become suicidal.

8 comments:

darth said...

my first concert was the ramones and the tubes. i think i saw the clash, springsteen, and U2 every time they toured..up to the late 80s. i haven't been to a concert in a long time...the last one was...lou reed maybe? billy idol? maybe eurythmics?

Bella_by_Barlight said...

I guess at some point your son will be old enough to want to go to concerts ... if you catch it early enough you could probably go with him ;-)

Seriously though, I'm envious of your first concert!

darth said...

they have these "parent" rooms now at concerts, apparently. where parents can sit quietly and watch TV until the concert is over.

Bella_by_Barlight said...

That's the saddest thing I've heard in ages :(

darth said...

i'll just take my iPod and a good book.

WeJamEcono said...

I always like siouxsie and the banshees...in that odd sort of way. One of my first concerts was a ramones show as well, but no opening band. I think the first was a blues band from the dc area called The Nighthawks.

darth said...

siouxie was great!

Mister Underhill said...

HOW WERE THE CONCERTS???