Oct 20, 2004

FIRST LOVE

To all the men I've loved before

It seems weird that a girl with a brother and a father would recall her first love being a boy in pre-school. Stuart was three, and so was I and he was the only thing I liked about “Sunny School”. I hated naps, I hated sissy’s and I hated my teachers who dictated that even though I wasn’t tired, when it was nap-time I was to get a blanket and a pillow and lie down and close my eyes on one of the white plastic covered mattresses that always miraculously appeared after lunch.

Stuart was brave and strong; his father had weird upper teeth that seemed to extend down to his chin and he was a hundred feet tall. Stuart was my companion on all field trips. I wouldn’t hold anyone else’s hand. His hands were always cool and smooth, never sticky or damp and he had pretty hair: cool blonde and floppy. He had blue eyes, and he laughed and didn’t cry when I closed him up in the dark coat cupboard as a test of his courage and devotion to me.

This was my favourite trick and the one that won me my fame at Sunny School. I was the first to brave the dark, Stuart the second and we two the only ones brave enough to concur the dark cupboard unflinching.

One time our class went on a field trip to Grouse Mountain. We took a school bus and Stuart and I sat together. When we rode the gondola up the mountain, we stood apart from the rest of our group and pretended we were un-chaperoned. We ate lunch at a picnic table near a snow-bank. I had been on an airplane a few times before and I told Stuart that snow was just like clouds, and if he wanted to know what clouds were like we could take off our boots and wiggle our toes in the snow.

So when the teachers weren’t looking, we pulled off our boots and socks and snuck away from the group and ran out into the snow bank in our bare feet.

I’ve since learned that clouds are more like fog, which doesn’t feel at all like snow on bare feet, but Stuart believed everything I told him, and on the bus back to school, while the rest of the children slept, he told me he thought the angels must have feathers on their wings because it gets so cold up in heaven.

8 comments:

hallvardur said...

pretty cool. did you get laid?

Bella_by_Barlight said...

I WAS ONLY THREE YEARS OLD! (note: eventually I did but that is about 100 stories away)

hallvardur said...

sorry, i didnt mean to be rude. that is kind of sweet. i had a crush on a girl when i was ten, beacause she had the same kind of jacket as i did.

Mister Underhill said...

That has to be the sweetest blog post I have ever read...I also laughed at the locked in the dark part. I think maybe you still do that :p

Did you ever go to the aquarium with him?

Bella_by_Barlight said...

hallvardur: That's okay. What kind of jacket was it? One time I had a crush on a boy because he had a puma book bag.

mister underhill: No, I didn't go to the Aquarium with him. On a side note, the Gondola didn't scare me as much when I was little as it does now!

Arethusa said...

Awwww! This IS the sweetest blog post I've ever read. I sent it to my best friend who is a guy and the first boy I've ever loved. We knew each other since I was born practically.

Bella_by_Barlight said...

Arethusa: Thank you :) That makes me very happy.

lia said...

wow bella, that IS a beautiful post. i think my first crush was on han solo...