Nov 27, 2004

Another side note on My Beautiful launderette:




I was discussing this film with my friend D the other day - she teaches Film at UBC, and apparently the first time she taught this course, when she showed the movie, a number of her students walked out of the lecture theater because they were offended by the homosexual content.

I laughed when she told me this, I couldn't believe it was true - especially in a film course which I imagine would tend to attract the arty liberal thinkers more than might ... lets say... a management accounting program. Or the History department for that matter. No one walked out of my class when Johnny and Omar were making out on screen. I guess I go to school with an enlightened bunch.

10 comments:

Arethusa said...

This reminds me that I really want to see "Bad Education" please please please movie distrubtor gods let it release in my lil' college town in a timely fashion!

Bella_by_Barlight said...

I haven't heard of it. Seriously, is it just me? Is it not totally shocking that people who have chosen to go into film/screen writing/directing etc would actually *walk**out* of a film because they were grossed out by two boys smooching?

Arethusa said...

No, lol. But I DO have friends who are somewhat liberal and would certainly feel very uncomfortable seeing that...but then they aren't the type to take film classes.

Hmmm. Maybe there were arty conservatives? It happens!

Bella_by_Barlight said...

Arty conservatives?????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

I bet if those people went to *see* films before deciding to go *into* film, they would have gotten over the shock of homoeroticism before college.

perkmashin said...

Maybe they had to slip out for a wank.

Bella_by_Barlight said...

perkmashin: Ah, I didn't even think of that!!! You're so smart.

MHP said...

Maybe they were boring students who tried to become more interesting. It is unimaginable in this day & age...especially in liberal Canada.

MHP said...

If you haven't, put "Love Me if You Dare" on to see list. I rented it the other day. It's a bit annoying at first because you keep thinking, this wants to be a dark Amelie. However, worth a watch, some pretty scenes, funny, dark.

Bella_by_Barlight said...

MP: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it when my term ends

Gregor said...

My theory is that anyone who would walk out of a film due to gay kissing simply fears that they are secretly gay or is in the closet, hence the reacionay 'moral conservative' view (I use the "'"s because a real Moral Conservative is someone who conserves their own morals rather than foisting them on everyone who thinks differently - but that's another thread).

The only thing hotter than 2 hot guys making out is 2 hot girls making out, or possibly a 3some or a foursome of really hot girls and guys all making out....and I digress....