Mar 9, 2005

The Wrong Element:



One of my favorite places in San Francisco is this little gallery called National Product. It looks like a funky little shop until you go in 'cause at the back there is an actual art gallery the size of one of those itty bitty galley kitchens that are ubiquitous to bachelorette pads. They have a bunch of t-shirt designs and art cards and so on and so forth. I bought quite a few gifts there. Their slogan: The revolution will be satirized, tickles me. Along with the Liberaché design, they have one of Mahatma Blondie with the caption bellow "give bleach a chance" which I thought was shockingly counter revolutionary until I studied subaltern Indian history and learned more about Gandiji's political affiliations. Now it just makes me laugh.

I was thinking of this today, and I remembered something recently: A quote by Emma Goldman(1869-1940),that early advocate of free speech, birth control, women's equality and independence, and union organization: "If I can't dance - I don't want to be part of your revolution."

I'm all for social change, but I don't want to have to renounce my sense of humor to achieve it!

2 comments:

Brian said...

Yeah, there's nothing more annoying than someone who believes in good things A Little Too Seriously. Maybe it's the Debbie Downer syndrome.

Feline Aids: the number one killer of domestic cats!

Bella_by_Barlight said...

Omigod, quick, post lots of comments! Blogger is working!!!