May 18, 2005

BBQ

Memphis Blues BBQ House

Click photo for their web site.

Tonight I'm going for BBQ with my "new best friend".

First of all, Vancouver isn't noted for the BBQ - I'm sure the fact that it rains 290 days / year has something to do with the dearth of out-door cooking traditions. Memphis Blues is pretty good though, but not of course as good as the BBQ the mother of my old room-mate shipped to us from Texas. She sent us a whole brisket packed in Dry ice with a giant tub of sauce. Anyway, this BBQ place here is good. The trouble is, however, it is POURING rain today. And cold for fuck sake, and eating BBQ without sweating just seems wrong somehow.

But anyway, like I said, the BBQ is good, and I'm meeting my "new best friend" for dinner which is pretty exciting actually. This is how big a nerd I am: I have a New Best Friend. Well, she has the biggest brain I've ever encountered in a real-life female and she snorts when she laughs plus she likes Stevie Wonder and she isn't a vegetarian so you can see why I'm so excited. I haven't told her I plan on being her new best friend, because I don't wish to sound like a freakazoid. This is also our first "date", for lack of a better term. If this was a romantic date, BBQ would be the WORST thing to do on a first date - there is no way of eating rib ends and collard greens without getting sauce on your chin and bits of green stuck between your teeth - but for a first friend-date I think it is the perfect litmus test of compatibility. Divalicious as I am, I hate fussy females. I hope she doesn't turn out to be one of those people who eats ribs with a fork and knife.

No comments: