May 4, 2005

I have bloggers block [True Travel Tales #2] - part 1

That might partly be because nothing interesting is happening.My last term at school has just begun and so far I'm feeling neutral about my profs. So, I don't dislike them, but I'm not *excited* about the material yet either. I've been doing boring things like housework.

Meh. It's my birthday next week and I always get a bit gloomy around my birthday. If anything though, I guess it came later this year than usual. I probably feel less sullen about it than usual in part because I'm graduating at the end of the summer, so at least I kind of feel like, yes I'm getting older but soon I will also have accomplished something that feels significant to me.

Well, better late than never.

So, since nothing exciting is happening over here (not even inside my head) here's a couple of pictures and a story about once upon a time when something interesting *did* happen.

Cesky Krumlov Part 1

Cesky Krumlov train station
Bella - Cesky Krumlov train station circa ... 1999?


Andrew and I went to Prague in the early spring of 1999. Or it might have been 2000. You'd think I would remember something like that. Anyway, it must have been 1999. We rented an appartment two blocks from the Prague Opera that was large enough to house six people (if four of them were efficient German backpackers). The furnishings were slightly taudry all except a 1930's style plush red velvet loveseat in the entryway. The kitchen was small, the bathroom had a heated towel rack, but it also had an old fashioned exposed sewer (we were on the ground floor). The trick was to run pleanty of water through the shower before actually spending more than 30 seconds in the bathroom to force through (out) the smelly water sludging its way out of the building two feet below an open grate in the floor.

One day we decided to take a vacation from our holiday in Prague and we caught a train to Cesky Budejovice and from there caught a little drafty commuter train to Cesky Krumlov. We brough a tall bottle of Gambrinus, a couple of crusty salted rolls from the bakery we passed on the way to the train station, and half a coil of sausage left over from the day before. On the train to Cesky Krumlov we unwrapped our lunch only to discover we had forgotten the bottle opener. Fortunatly there was a middle aged Norwegian couple in our compartment with us who had a Swiss Army knife with bottle opener.

The train station at Cesky Krumlov is up the hill from the village, in a new-ish part of town. When leaving the station, one way the road leads down to some tall gray forbidding looking Soviet era appartment complexes - the other way leads down to the UNESCO world heritage site village of Cesky Krumlov.

Cesky krumlov
Cesky Krumlov situated in a bow in the Vlatava river


To be continued...

No comments: