Jun 28, 2005

Paul Anka - Rock Swings


1. It's My Life (Bon Jovi)
2. True (Spandau Ballet)
3. Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)
4. Everybody Hurts (REM)
5. Wonderwall (Oasis)
6. Blackhole Sun (Soundgarden)
7. It's a Sin (Pet Shop Boys)
8. Jump (Van Halen)
9. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
10. Hello (Lionel Richie)
11. Eyes Without a Face (Billy Idol)
12. Lovecats (The Cure)
13. The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
14. Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton)


This CD could be not very good for a large number of reasons, but somehow it isn't. In fact, I like it a lot. It is very listenable. Especially once you get past the hysterical laughing (or crying) necessarily brought on by hearing any version of Love Cats. Somehow I always assume that everyone has the same violent visceral reaction as I have to hearing that song. Even when I reason that not everyone in the world suffered their first serious heartbreak to the soundtrack of The Cure's Japanese Whispers. As I was saying, once you get past this particular agony, the rest of the CD is really great. I would go so far as to speculate that even if you weren't familiar with any of the original versions of these songs, you would still really enjoy this album (that is, unless *you* suffered your first serious heartbreak to a Paul Anka soundtrack).

Several years ago, way back in... Holy shit, 1997, Steve and Eydie did a fantastic cover of Blackhole Sun by Soundgarden, and here is another wonderful version on this Paul Anka album. Now to be honest, I have never heard the original version of this song so I really can't compare, but both of the lounge covers I've heard are fantastic.

Those of you of (roughly) my generation, may get a rude shock when you hear this version of True by Spandau Ballet. But that's because, well, Spandau Ballet, man!!! Sheesh.

I meant to play this CD for my New Best Friend on Saturday night when we were hanging out before going to dinner, but I forgot so instead I just gave her the CD to take home with her.

P.S. A note about Blogger spell check. WTF is a "snodgarden"???????

No comments: