Oct 5, 2006

Muse news


I read a couple of articles recently about Leonard Cohen's inspiration for his poem/song, "Suzanne". One talked about the recent renovations to the small, now "boutique" hotel in Montreal where Suzanne Verdal had a room in the 1960's: her "place by the River." The other article talked about Suzanne herself, who is now virtually homeless and lives out of the back of a renovated wood camper in California. In this second article, an academic speculates on the rights and responsabilities of The Muse: "Is the muse expendable? Perhaps....The muse is the source of what there is, the inspiration. Does the muse have a claim on anything more than that role? My instinct tells me no."

I imagine it would be the death of poetry if artists began having to pay licensing fees or royalties to the people who serve as their creative inspiration, yet at the same time, I can't help but feel irked at the injustice of Verdal's situation. Cohen and others have profited from the song Verdal inspired. The hotel, in the hands of the right marketing manager, can claim landmark status because Verdal once kept a small room there - all while Verdal herself lives out of the back of a truck.

As far as I know, I've never been anybody's muse. I likely don't have the right temperament for it. Maybe I'm not mysterious enough,or beautiful enough, or exotic enough - Maybe I lack that intangible "X" factor that gives certain people a luminous aura that draws one in like a moth to a flame. Maybe it's because it's obvious that I'd only end up wanting to art direct the project myself (which obviously would ruin everything). The one thing I'm really not is passive.

Does the muse get to have his or her own creative life?

I wish that Leonard Cohen would buy Suzanne Verdal a place by a river so she could park her van for a while. Or a place in Venice Beach overlooking the Pacific. Whatever. There's something disturbing about the disposability of the Muse.

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by
You can spend the night beside her
And you know that she's half crazy
But that's why you want to be there
And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China
And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on her wavelength
And she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover

And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind.


Leonard Cohen - "Suzanne"

4 comments:

izy6n54knkn said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

3yfck35onwm said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

firehorse rider said...

i agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

please join "suzanne's angels" - women on the road for women on the street.

i'm presently on an epic motorbike ride to the arctic circle trying to raise funds for suzanne to help her get off the street.

suzannesangels.blogspot.com
firehorserider.com

janet wolfman said...

I knew Suzanne briefly around 1967 in Montreal. while she WAS a kind of Bohemian hustler and always neede money from someone, I don't think she deserves to be in her present condition. Has anybody contacted Leonard Cohen about her condition? She had a kind of charisma and could relate to people on a very deep level. Butr she did leave me in a cab when she was leaving for New York with John Hammond and expect me to pay among other things. She had a sense of entitlement that I found infuriating. She wasn't any different than anyother groupie at the time. So don't heap abuse on her. If things had worked out differently she would be much better off now. Where are her kids and why aren't thy helping her? Well Suzanne It really is a drag getting old PEACE AND LIGHT JANET WOLFMAN